Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Policy
It is the goal of Unscrewed Theater to promote a learning and performing environment free of discrimination and harassment. Discrimination by any person involved with Unscrewed Theater, in any capacity, is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated. This is an abridged copy of our policy – the policy, in its entirety, is available upon request from any member of Unscrewed Theater staff or management.
Unscrewed Theater recognizes that greater tolerance is sometimes necessary during the course of an artistic performance when such expression is related to the characters or theme of the production, however it shall be prohibited for anyone to discriminate or harass another person in verbal, pictorial, digital or written form by referencing sex (gender), race, national origin, ancestry, color, religion, age, disability (handicap), genetic information, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation which is unwelcome and substantially interferes with an individual’s enjoyment of the Unscrewed Theater experience or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
Sexual harassment is defined as uninvited or offensive sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, and applies equally to males and females. The following are some examples of conduct which if unwelcome, may constitute sexual harassment depending upon the totality of the circumstances including the severity of the conduct and its pervasiveness:
- Unwelcome sexual advances-whether they involve physical touching or not
- Sexual epithets, jokes, written or oral references to sexual conduct, gossip regarding one’s sex life, comment on an individual’s body, comment about an individual’s sexual activity, deficiencies, or prowess
- Displaying sexual suggestive objects, pictures, cartoons
- Unwelcome leering, whistling, brushing against the body, sexual gestures, suggestive or insulting comments
- Inquiries into one’s sexual experiences
- Discussion of one’s sexual activities
Harassment also includes conduct that:
- Has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment; or
- Otherwise adversely affects an individual’s opportunities at Unscrewed Theater
Examples of prohibited harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Verbal conduct such as epithets, derogatory comments, slurs or unwanted comments and jokes
- Visual conduct such as derogatory posters, cartoons, drawings or gestures
- Physical conduct such as assault, blocking normal movement, restraint, touching or other physical interference with work directed at an individual`
- Emails that contain offensive comments, jokes or visual images
This policy also strictly prohibits any retaliation against an individual who has complained about discrimination or harassment, or any retaliation against individuals for cooperating with an investigation of a discrimination or harassment complaint.
Because Unscrewed Theater takes allegations of discrimination and harassment seriously, we will respond promptly to any reports of harassment. Unscrewed Theater will promptly investigate all allegations of discrimination or harassment in a fair and expeditious manner.
Violations can be reported by contacting an immediate supervisor or any other member of management personnel. These persons are also available to discuss any concerns and to provide information about our policy and the complaint process.
REPORTING OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR TO UNSCREWED THEATER SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED EQUIVALENT TO REPORTING A CRIME TO THE POLICE.
IF YOU BELIEVE A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER CALLING THE POLICE.